1) Precontemplation: During this stage, you probably have little interest in making a lifestyle change…. But you know it’s necessary. This is a good time to gather information about making a change.
2) Contemplation: You may be seriously considering how to lose extra pounds or you just want to become a healthier you. Write down the benefits and challenges to help you identify your personal weaknesses. This is the time you contact a professional to help you meet your goals.
3) Preparation: In this stage, you are going to be making a specific plan – say, the next six months.
4) Action: This stage encompasses the first six months of change.
5) Maintenance: After the first six months, your new lifestyle habits will become almost second nature. Keep working on preventing a setback and appreciate your personal achievements.